Conscious Thinking basically means to de-identify from thoughts or to think consciously. These are the steps of the Conscious Thinking meditation:
- Do the Dissolving the Temporary I technique (DTI). This method will bring you into the state of Pure consciousness.
- Become aware of the fact that you were immersed in a thought and situation to which the thought applies. That could be a moment in which you acknowledge to yourself: ‘Oh, I was immersed in this thought!’ You acknowledge that you were the thought.
- Deliberately recreate the same thought in your mind again. You simply re-imagine the virtual situation, a person or other experience to which the thought applies. Try to retain your presence while doing that.
- If you have lost your presence and become immersed in your thought, become aware of yourself, here and now, while keeping the thought in your mind. Continue with the thinking process, but carefully maintain your self-awareness all the time.
- Notice the difference between the conscious thinking and being immersed in the same thought without staying aware of yourself.
- Become aware of space, silence or nothingness that is in the background of this situation, i.e. the thought.